Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Wine Thoughts, Fine Vines, Small Production

Now this blog was mainly conceived based on the desire to start writing again, but I still felt the need to say a little something about the following wines I tried.  I did not spend as much time as I so desired, but I wanted to tell you about three winemakers/proprietors that I spoke and tasted with yesterday at the Fine Vines Small Production wine tasting that really blew me away.
Cold Heaven Cellars Buellton, California
Viognier, Santa Ynez Valley 2009 - the sexiest of their three Viogniers.  It had a supple texture and contained notes of peeled stone fruits and almond skin.  It was smoky with a great mid-palate and balanced structure.  I was very impressed, nonetheless, it was Viognier from California.
Viognier, Le Bon Climat Vineyard 2009 - my favorite.  Terrior driven, Condrieu esque, had great acidity and meyer lemon pulp bursting predominantly on the finish that kept on going.  It was really juicy and very food friendly.  Wish I had a bottle right now.
Pinot Noir, Makepeace 2009 - harmonious.  Ripe red and black fruits, brown spice, muted floral notes, and strong acid structure.  I can drink this Pinot all the time.  Especially with a good meal.  Yum.  Definitely one of my new favorite Pinot Noir producers in the Central Coast.
Ceja Vineyards  Napa Carneros, California
Vino de Casa White, Napa 2008 - a blend of Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Marsanne, Roussanne, and a splash of Viognier.  It was floral and racy with yellow citrus and apple notes.  It had a finish that was constantly changing.  That's when the complexity came through.
Chardonnay, Napa Carneros 2008 - I don't like Chardonnay, normally.  There I said it.  I, however, really liked this Chardonnay.  Well balanced, fleshy mouthfeel, and juicy apple acid on the finish.
Pinot Noir, Carneros 2007 - sexy and divine.  Ripe cherry fruits, smoky, balanced and a lot going on the palate.  This is a wine that you can cellar for a few more years.
Shinn Estate Vineyards Mattituck, New York
Sauvignon Blanc, First Fruit, North Fork of Long Island 2010 - whenever Sauvignon Blanc can impart a floral character then I'm hooked.  Gooseberry fruits on the nose, but the palate was different.  The flavors kept changing and I liked it.  Wines from the east coast still intrigue me.
Merlot Estate, North Fork of Long Island 2008 - another floral wine.  This time it was the combination of purple flowers, chocolate and black plums that swooned me.
Coalescence (White Blend), North Fork of Long Island 2010 - a blend of Merlot, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay.  The red grapes are pressed immediately after being picked and then cold fermented with the white grapes.  It is a white wine with a pink hue and it's pretty to look at.  A really fresh wine that would be great with food.  Let's just say, "me like".

1 comment:

  1. Such a great tasting from top notch distributor, Fine Vines. Really enjoyed the wines you listed above, especially the quite unique Coalescence. Dalia Ceja also poured a wonderful late harvest wine that wasn't too sweet. Always love hearing your thoughts, thanks for sharing ... "me like".

    ReplyDelete